Some estimates have fibromyalgia affecting up to 7% of Americans. Ten times as many fibromyalgia suffers are women as opposed to men. Also, age seems to be a risk factor with fewer presenting with fibromyalgia as a child and many more at middle age. Here are a few more important fibromyalgia facts:
- Researchers believe that fibromyalgia is related to the way the central nervous system processes pain signals.
- In tests, patients with fibromyalgia suffer from decreased cerebrospinal fluid drainage and some abnormalities in the function of the brain and spinal cord.
- Fibromyalgia pain is related to something called windup, a condition where the body feels pain more intensely during emergency situations. If windup occurs when there is no emergency, the body may still perceive minor pains as major.
- When compared to control patients, those with fibromyalgia show anatomical, physiological, and neurochemical differences.
To learn more about the connection between head and neck injuries and fibromyalgia download our complimentary e-book by clicking the image below.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
Besides pain throughout the body, other common symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- Chronic headaches
- Bladder and bowel issues
- Fibro fog (mental confusion, memory problems, etc.)
Getting Medication-Free Help for Fibromyalgia
Usually, medical care focuses on symptom control. Prescription meds are used to reduce pain, improve sleep, and deal with bladder and bowel symptoms. It is interesting to note that the Mayo Clinic has noticed a trend toward mixing alternative therapies with conventional ones. About 50% of patients also try to find natural forms of relief while continuing a regimen of medications.
Upper cervical chiropractic offers a viable means of finding relief, particularly for those who are experiencing central nervous issues as a result of a C1 and C2 misalignment. These bones are positioned right where the head meets the neck and can cause many problems for the body when it comes to cerebrospinal fluid drainage, pain processing, and the like.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of upper cervical chiropractic care for those suffering from fibromyalgia, contact us at Advanced Spinal Care. Many have found that a properly aligned C1 and C2 gives the body the chance to heal and may help to reduce symptoms of chronic health conditions like fibromyalgia.
To schedule a complimentary consultation call our Redwood City office at 650-595-0500 You can also click the button below.