Fibromyalgia leaves its victims feeling disabled and frustrated. It is known for widespread pain in the body, depression or anxiety, being moody or agitated, and sleep issues. The exact cause remains a mystery among the medical community. However, it more than likely has to do with the brain reacting improperly to nerve stimulation due to improper signals being sent by the brainstem. In other words, the brainstem tells the brain there is pain in the body when there is actually little or no pain.
Things to Try at Home for Fibromyalgia
There are a few things you can try at home that may help you find some relief from the pain of fibromyalgia. Here are some suggested lifestyle changes:
- Quit smoking
- Stretch your muscles regularly
- Take up swimming or water aerobics
- Work at improving your posture
- Alternate heat to increase blood flow and healing and ice to reduce inflammation
- Do mild exercise on a regular basis – walking or biking
- Try to control stress by caring for your emotions
One of the major complaints with fibromyalgia is that of not being able to sleep well. Here are some tips for getting a good night’s rest:
- Keep it dark. The smallest bit of light from a clock or electronics can actually interfere with sleep.
- Wind down. Do something to relax before bed like coloring, reading, or taking a warm bath.
- Don’t drink. By avoiding drinking water or other beverages before bed, trips to the bathroom are avoided.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Get into a good routine. Going to bed and waking up at the same time each day aids in sleep.
- No electronic devices. Keeping phones, TVs, and computers out of the bedroom can help.
How Upper Cervical Chiropractic Can Help Fibromyalgia
The above-mentioned suggestions are helpful, but unless the root cause is addressed, no real relief will be found. Here at Advanced Spinal Care in Redwood City CA, we offer our patients a gentle method to help realign the bones of the neck. A misalignment can place undue pressure on the brainstem, causing it to malfunction. Once corrected, fibromyalgia may improve or go away completely.
To schedule a complimentary consultation call our Redwood City office at 650-595-0500 You can also click the button below.
if you are outside of the local area you can find an Upper Cervical Doctor near you at www.uppercervicalawareness.com.