Fibromyalgia is a complex condition that is still not well known. In the United States alone, approximately 5 million people are afflicted. Besides giving widespread pain all over the body, fibromyalgia also hinders someone from getting a good night’s sleep. It can also cause cognitive issues like difficulty remembering or thinking. To help you get the best care for fibromyalgia and heal as fast as possible, we’re discussing the top three options you can choose from.
- Doctor-Prescribed Medications
When you consult your doctor or family physician, he or she may suggest one of the following:
- Pain relievers: To help control the pain of fibromyalgia, doctors often begin by recommending over-the-counter medications such as Aleve, Advil, and Tylenol. If one of these does not work, prescription drugs such as tramadol may be prescribed.
- Antidepressants: Cymbalta may be given for fatigue and pain, while Prozac may help with sleep.
- Anti–seizure medications: Drugs such as Lyrica and Neurontin may help to deliver a degree of relief.
2. Practical Home Remedies
Changing some of the aspects of your lifestyle or habits may also improve the pain brought by fibromyalgia. Follow some of these practical steps you can do at home.
- Always get enough sleep. Fibromyalgia causes extreme fatigue. To combat the feeling of weakness and tiredness, do the following:
- Go to bed at a regular time
- Do not eat a few hours before bedtime
- Have a good sleep environment (dark and cool, free of lights and noise)
- Do some light exercise regularly. This may sound like a tall order for someone in pain; however, studies have shown that daily, mild to moderate exercise can help reduce the pain of fibromyalgia.
- Manage your stress. Stress can drain your energy even more and aggravate fibromyalgia flare-ups. Mindfulness, meditation, and yoga can relieve your stress and ease many fibromyalgia issues.
3.Upper Cervical Chiropractic Care
The best option there is to relieve the symptoms of fibromyalgia is to turn to an upper cervical chiropractor. Advanced Spinal Care in Redwood City, California is one good example. We work with patients to make sure that the bones of the upper neck are not misaligned. A misalignment may negatively impact the brainstem, which is responsible for relaying messages to and from the brain. If this happens, improper signals will be sent to the brain, which can lead to the development of many health conditions, including fibromyalgia. We use a gentle method to correct the alignment of the vertebrae and take the pressure off of the brainstem.
Schedule a consultation with Advanced Spinal Care to see what we can do to help you find relief.
To schedule a complimentary consultation call our Redwood City office at 650-595-0500 You can also click the button below.
if you are outside of the local area you can find an Upper Cervical Doctor near you at www.uppercervicalawareness.com.